Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Phantoms and Monsters

Phantoms and Monsters


Black Triangle UFO Sightings Near Youngstown, Ohio

Posted: 08 Jun 2010 11:20 AM PDT

Ever since the sighting of the famous 'Belgium Black' triangle UFO in 1990 (depicted) reports of these craft have become more prevalent. I received this interesting email from a reader today

Hi, Lon, I'm a long-time reader of your Phantoms and Monsters site. I think the site is great. You feature some of the most interesting and unusual items.

I wanted to email you about two objects I've seen in the sky over an almost two week period.

First, I want to start by telling you that next month will be the 25th anniversary of my being an amateur astronomer. I began in July, 1985, and have continued to this day. I have two telescopes and three pairs of giant binoculars, 9 x 63, 10 x 70, and 11 x 80. I've spent countless hours under the night sky in 25 years, and until recently only saw one thing that I couldn't explain, back in July 1996, when I watched a bright, circular white object hover over my neighbors house for several minutes, before speeding off into the sky.

Tuesday night, May 26, I went out with the 11 x 80 binoculars. The are quite heavy, so I had a small table on our back patio next to me. I knelt on a cushion on the patio and braced my elbows on the table to keep the binoculars from jiggling. I was looking in a southern direction at the star Spica. I had put the binoculars down for a minute and was scanning the night sky when my attention was caught by a red light coming my way. The light wasn't blinking, but many plane lights don't look like they are blinking because of the angle they are at until they get almost right on top of you, this has happened to me many times. I watched for a few moments, and realized that the light still wasn't blinking, so I picked up the binoculars and trained them on the light. What I saw surprised me. The object in my binoculars was a black triangle. A very definite black triangle. There was one unblinking red light at the front of the object on the triangle point, and two blue lights on the back. None of the lights were blinking. I watched the object as it approached me, almost overhead. There was no sound whatsoever from it. Right as it was almost overhead, it made and abrupt, sharp 90 degree turn and sped off. I lost it behind the apartment, and by the time I got around to the front yard it was gone. The object was traveling from east to west when it turned, (as I was facing it, it turned to my right), and ended up going in a northern direction. I've never seen anything like that in the sky before.

Last night, Monday June 7, my 13 year old daughter and I went outside with my telescope around 10:00. We set up the scope, which took a few minutes. The night was exceptionally clear, with many stars visible, even thought the back yard has some light pollution from the car port light. We were looking at the sky through my 10 x 70 binoculars. I noticed a bright red object again coming through the sky. As it got closer, my daughter asked me why it wasn't blinking. I looked at it through the binoculars and saw again that it was another black triangle, this one with slightly different lights. This object had two red lights in the back, one white light in the middle, and one white light in the front, on the point of the triangle top. None of the lights were blinking. I handed the binoculars to my daughter and told her to look at it and tell me what she saw. She looked at it and said in a scared voice, "Mom, that is NO plane! It's a black thing, and it's triangle shaped. I don't see any wings!" She was frightened, and handed me the binoculars. The object came across the sky, going this time from west to east. Once again, as it was almost on top of us, it made a sharp 90 degree turn, (this time to our left as we faced it), and sped off to the north. This time I ran around to the front yard, and was able to follow it for a few seconds as it went off, finally speeding up and vanishing. My daughter was very frightened and kept talking about what she'd seen, and how it made absolutely no noise as it passed almost over us. We both agreed that the object was almost the size of a pencil eraser held at arm's length. The night was relatively calm, with not much wind at all, so a plane that big should have made some noise that close to us, we can faintly hear the noise of smaller planes passing much higher overhead on quiet nights.

My daughter was very scared and wanted to go in, but I persuaded her to stay out for a little while. We looked at Mars, Regulus, Saturn, Spica and Arcturus for around a half hour before we came in. As soon as we came in, I told her to sit down and draw what she'd seen, while I went in another room and drew what I saw. Our drawings were identical.

Sorry this is so long, but I did just want to tell you what we did see, and what I saw last week. I live in Ohio, outside the Youngstown area. I plan on keeping an eye on the night sky after this, and I'm also going to keep a camera handy in case I see one of these objects again so I can try to get a picture. To me it's almost unbelievable that I've seen two such objects that I can't explain in two weeks, after only seeing one object in 25 years of previous night time stargazing! Julie

NOTE: I'd be very interested to read similar sightings. There have been many triangular shaped UFOs reported the past few years....but, the recent number of reports is staggering IMO. The MUFON and NUFORC witness report pages usually have at least one similar sighting every day. I'm quite sure many more of these sightings go unreported...Lon

Black Triangle UFO Sightings Near Youngstown, Ohio

Lost WWII Battlefield Discovered In Papua New Guinea

Posted: 08 Jun 2010 10:43 AM PDT


cnn - An Australian trekker said he has discovered the site of a significant World War II battle in the jungles of Papua New Guinea, complete with the remains of Japanese soldiers right where they fell almost 70 years ago.

Former army Capt. Brian Freeman, an expert on the Kokoda Trail – a 60-mile trek through rugged mountainous country and rainforest of the island – said Monday he was led to the Eora Creek battle site where he found the remains of the soldiers.

The site about half a mile from the village of Eora Creek was believed to be the location of the last major battle that was pivotal in Australia's campaign against the Japanese in Papau New Guinea.

Although the site was known to local villages, jungles reclaimed it after the battle of Eora Creek. Although locals hunted on the plateau surrounding the site, they avoided the 600-square-meter battle ground because of a belief that spirits of the dead were still present in the "lost battlefield."

What this means is that the site has apparently remained untouched since 1942.

"On our inaugural trek, we were hoping to find the remnants of a make-shift Japanese hospital and, potentially, relics of guns and ammunition. I never anticipated that we would find war dead," Freeman said in a statement.

Freeman trekked to the site for the first time on April 23.

"It was as if time has stood still. We found ammunition running out in a line from the rifle that was dropped as the Japanese advanced to the rear," Freeman said.

Freeman said extensive research on battle maps and diaries led them to believe that the Japanese had a medical facility in the area during the Japanese advance and its location had remained a mystery until now.

The team found kidney-shaped medical dishes at the site, pointing to evidence that the find was indeed the site of a Japanese hospital.

The presence of large rectangular pits, referred to as rifle pits, also indicated that the location was also a significant Japanese defensive position.

"However, it was the discovery of a Japanese soldier sitting up against a tree, only centimeters from the surface still in his helmet, with his boots nearby that began to tell the human story," Freeman said.

The battle of Eora Creek is said to be the single most costly clash of the Kokoda campaign, although different sources cite different casualty figures.

Freeman's group says 79 Australians died and 145 were wounded, while the Australian War Memorial website says 99 were killed and 192 wounded.

Freeman said they are working with respective governments to repatriate the fallen solders and preserve the site in its "current pristine condition." Until then, no groups will be permitted to trek the site.

Lost WWII Battlefield Discovered In Papua New Guinea

**********

South Africa's vultures are being pushed into extinction by gamblers who believe smoking their dried brains will give them special powers...

Cambodia's missing 'jungle woman' found in toilet...

Now there's something you don't see everyday...

Girl, 3, smokes and drinks after accident...

Indonesian census discovers 157-year-old woman...

Cosmic Watergate: Stanton Friedman Describes the Vast UFO Cover-Up

Posted: 08 Jun 2010 09:50 AM PDT

aolnews - "Some UFOs are intelligently controlled extraterrestrial spacecraft, and this is the biggest story of the millennium."

These words are not the rantings of a deranged individual looking for attention or a comfortable straitjacket. Stanton Friedman is a maverick of sorts.

Employed for 14 years as a nuclear physicist for companies like General Electric, General Motors, Westinghouse and Aerojet General Nucleonics, he worked on highly classified programs involving nuclear aircraft, fission and fusion rockets.

In 1958, UFOs caught his attention, and Friedman has since lectured about this subject at more than 700 colleges and professional groups in all 50 states and around the world.

"After 53 years of investigation, I'm convinced we're dealing here with a cosmic Watergate," he told AOL News. "That means a few people within major governments have known since at least 1947 that some UFOs are alien spacecraft."

In Friedman's new book, "Science Was Wrong," co-authored with Kathleen Marden, he wrote, "There's been no shortage of strong, negative proclamations from debunking groups and individuals who refuse to examine the evidence ... to support the notion that some UFOs are of extraterrestrial origin."

Friedman cites many cases of UFO encounters experienced by competent, reliable eyewitnesses, including one involving Japan Airlines.

"A 747 over Alaska encountered something that was twice the size of an aircraft carrier, that flew circles around the jet. They reported it to the ground, where both the UFO and the 747 were picked up on radar.

"The explanation from debunkers was that it was Jupiter! Boy, airplane radar can pick up Jupiter? It was totally ludicrous. You're fighting the forces of 'evil,' one might say -- arrogance and ignorance."

While some scientists through the years have quietly suggested Earth has been visited by ETs, Friedman is the most outspoken. He's especially irked by the attitude of scientists who use radio and optical telescopes in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, such as the SETI Institute in California.

"Their livelihood depends on the assumption that there's nobody coming here, and if we just wait long enough, we're going to pick up the signal and it'll be the greatest discovery in man's history, and it will help solve all our problems.

"What really bothers me is that the SETI people will tell you there is no evidence for UFOs. Well, they certainly don't reference any, so there must not be, right? Wrong!"

If so, why would reputable scientists refuse to consider that Earth may be a vacation spot for otherworldly travelers?

"Because they'd have to admit that they'd ignored such a big story for so long and that they were wrong," Friedman said. "Being wrong is something that scientists don't like to admit at all."

Over the past 50 years, numerous surveys and public opinion polls have indicated that people are very interested in and, even, concerned about UFOs.

A 2002 Roper poll, commissioned by the Sci-Fi Channel, noted that 72 percent of Americans believed the U.S. government isn't telling all it knows about UFOs, and 68 percent thought the government knows more about extraterrestrial life than it cares to disclose.

But why would the government -- any government -- cover up UFO information? To Friedman, the answer is more down to earth.

"I don't know of any government on this planet that wants its citizens to owe their primary allegiance to the planet. Nationalism is the only game in town."

Also, Friedman says, there's the military point of view. "From a national security angle, everybody would like to grab a flying saucer and figure out how it works and use it to deliver weapons on the other guy, and there's always another guy."

How exactly would one go about obtaining a flying saucer? One way is to just wait until an otherworldly vehicle develops some mechanical problem and simply crashes to the ground.

Roswell, N.M., comes to mind.

In July 1947, something crashed outside the small town that, according to the initial official report, was a flying saucer. Authorities quickly changed that story, claiming it was merely a weather balloon that had fallen from the sky.

Thirty years after the Roswell event, Friedman met military personnel who were involved with the events of 1947 and he says they eventually stepped forward to advance the account of a crashed spacecraft and dead alien bodies.

Because of Friedman's dogged determination, the Roswell UFO legend was born.

"I followed up enough to find a number of key people, and with no Internet available, it took a lot of work," he said.

But Friedman is keenly aware of the abundant skepticism that swirls around the Roswell UFO controversy.

"Naturally, the resistance to acceptance of this case is going to be stronger than any other case," he said. "Because if it's true, it's everything -- bodies, wreckage, cover-up, threats -- what more do you need?"

Friedman says he's only had 11 hecklers in more than 700 lectures on UFOs.

"I'm still optimistic that, within my lifespan -- and I'm 75 -- we'll get at least a part of the story, that we're not alone in the universe."

With the discovery in recent years of hundreds of planets circling other suns, scientists continue to speculate that life is plentiful in the cosmos.

Plus, in 2008, the pope's chief astronomer, the Rev. Gabriel Funes, proclaimed that intelligent beings created by God might actually exist in outer space, and that it wouldn't contradict a belief in God.

All of that gives Friedman hope.

"Now is probably the time to say, yes, we're part of a galactic neighborhood; unfortunately, we're not the big shots in the neighborhood."


Click for video

Cosmic Watergate: Stanton Friedman Describes the Vast UFO Cover-Up
________________________

The 'Ontological Cracks' Humans Experience


From Rick Phillips' latest post at The Heavy Stuff: "My so-called `take' on the `paranormal', I find, is quite different from others who are interested in or who are `experiencers' of the `non-ordinary states' which include non-ordinary perceptions. To begin with, I am not religious in any normal sense of the word; I was raised Atheist, and am an Agnostic. Therefore, perhaps, my access to `structures of perception' that seem to include everything from Saints, Angels, Guardians - to Jesus and the Devil himself - has never revealed any of `it's' (religions) paranormal perception structure to me."

Continue reading at
The 'Ontological Cracks' Humans Experience

Ghosts: Overtaking a Phantom

Posted: 08 Jun 2010 01:21 PM PDT


By Anne Whitaker - Wisps From The Dazzling Darkness


"Ghosts seem harder to please than we are; it is as though they haunted for haunting's sake – much as we relive, brood, and smoulder over our pasts….on the whole, it would seem they adapt themselves well, perhaps better than we do, to changing world conditions – they enlarge their domain, shift their hold on our nerves, and, dispossessed of one habitat, set up house in another. The universal battiness of our century looks like providing them with a propitious climate…."
Elizabeth Bowen


Definition of a ghost : "the soul of a dead person which supposedly manifests itself to the living visibly (as a shadowy apparition), audibly etc."

(p 356, The Oxford English Reference Dictionary, Oxford University Press 1996)

An imaginative child, I found going upstairs to bed scary most nights, having probably heard too many ghost stories as I grew up in the storm-tossed Outer Hebrides – home to many a Celtic tale of the otherworld of the supernatural.

There was the woman wrapped in plaid who jostled my maternal grandfather in the winter dark as he traversed the remote, eerie Uig Glen. There was my maternal great-grandmother's hearing the wheels of lorries rumbling through her remote village toward a deserted headland – many years before they actually came, bearing the materials to build an RAF station there.

There were the shades of the dead appearing to those few in possession of the Sight – sure harbingers of imminent family death. There were ghostly lights luring sailors to their deaths in stormy seas. There was at least one ghost car. More has been forgotten than I could ever now recall.

Fortunately for me, vivid imagination has always sat in tandem with a strongly empirical streak. So I was a true sceptic –inclined to disbelieve in the absence of proof – until the day I saw a ghost for myself….

Perthshire, Scotland, Autumn 1977


My twenties had been turbulent. Restless wandering – from one career to another, one city to another, one set of friendships to another, and one dwelling place to another – characterised the whole decade.

Now, I was in a mood to settle. Time to face my dissatisfactions, rather than running away when novelty wore off and disillusion set in. Resolution thus colouring my mood, I left the Scottish city of Dundee in September 1977 to do my social work training at Scotland's Glasgow University. Having been such a hippie in my twenties, all I owned could be fitted into several boxes and stowed in the back of my old blue Morris Traveller.

Laughing to myself, I recalled the occasion when, in my role as unqualified social worker, I had called by my flat in a poor area of Dundee to collect something I had forgotten. Accompanying me was the hard bitten female client I was accompanying on a visit to Dundee's Family Planning Centre. "For f—s sake!" she remarked, quickly scanning my accommodation whilst I hunted for the forgotten item. "Your standard of living's even worse than mine!"

Thus in transition, I set off to spend a night or two, en route to my new abode in Glasgow, with my boyfriend at the time who lived in the scenic market town of Perth, half way between Dundee and Glasgow. The Dundee to Perth road was mostly dual carriageway, and a distance of about twenty five miles. I drove happily through the area known as the Carse of Gowrie, which grew the best raspberries in Britain. "Pity I'm in a hurry", I thought. "A few raspberries for supper would be nice."

It was a clear evening, around seven pm, growing dusk. There was very little traffic on the road. A few miles outside Perth, my headlights picked out a male cyclist on a racing bike, a little way ahead of me. I pulled into the overtaking lane to pass him – and he vanished.

I arrived at Peter's flat somewhat shaken by this experience. "I can't believe I imagined it. What I saw was definitely a cyclist. He was as substantial on that road as you are, standing right now in your kitchen !" Peter was quiet for a few moments. He looked thoughtful, as if trying to decide whether to say something or not.

At last he told me that a young male cyclist had been killed on that stretch of road a year or so previously.

This was something of which I had no knowledge. Why should his ghost appear to me? "Firstly, because you're so sensitive anyway. Cast your mind back to some other odd happenings which have occurred since we've been together. Secondly, your life is in transition. I think at those times, normal consciousness is more porous, as it were. Impressions from other layers of 'reality' find it easier to seep through…."

I remember feeling quite relieved that I wouldn't be travelling on that stretch of road for the foreseeable future….

Copyright Anne Whitaker 2010 - Wisps From The Dazzling Darkness



Have you had a close encounter or witnessed something unusual?
Send us an email


Become a fan of 'Phantoms and Monsters' at Facebook
Photobucket



Photobucket
Listen to our segment
'Strickly Paranormal: For Those Seeking the Truth!'




New 'SPECIAL OFFER' Category
BUY 2 and get the 3rd FREE!



Anomalist Books - works on maverick science, unexplained mysteries, unorthodox theories, strange talents, and unexpected discoveries. Please check out their excellent and diverse catalog



"The latest news from beyond the mainstream"
Join Ben & Aaron for their weekly podcast!
Check out Mysterious Universe Plus+ all access format!



Join the
Phantoms & Monsters Wiki
A network for paranormal investigators, enthusiasts and those
seeking the truth





No comments:

Post a Comment